Makin' Eyes

From Italy!!!!


One of my absolute favorite things is what my brother calls "makin' eyes" at a baby. Little can surpass seeing the total joy in a baby's eyes when they look deeply at you and then burst into a huge smile. There is something about their total enthrallment that gets me every time.

Tied for first with that big smile is the moment that a baby falls asleep in my arms. I mean when he REALLY falls asleep--it's a moment of complete trust and total abandonment. The arms go limp, the weight sags, and the head finally relaxes against my chest. I love it.

As I was holding a baby the other night, trying to coax him into that "moment," I realized what a picture that can be of me in my Father's arms. Why do I resist that total abandonment of self? I long for the moments that I throw myself into His arms and then just let loose, let my muscles relax, and trust Him to hold me up. Just as a baby trusts that I will take care of him, so I must trust that the Lord will not let me go.

No comments:

Post a Comment